The guys are joined by Rob Vollman, author of Hockey Abstract 2017,as they talk about the latest edition of Hockey Abstract, including:
– the evolution of Rob’s Hockey Abstracts
– how best to evaluate goaltenders
– what can be done to take coaching in consideration during a stastical evaluation
– review Rob’s updated player usage charts in the latest charts
– find out what stat Rob wishes didn’t exist and what data he wishes he could have
Tweet to the show account with the hashtag #HockeyAbstract and retweet the pinned tweet for Episode 146 to be entered to win a copy of Hockey Abstract 2017.
Carl and Joel also break down the latest of the week:
– Leon Draisaitl signed a giant extension with the Oilers. How does this impact the team into the future and what does this mean for other contracts being handed out around the league?
– Brandon Dubinsky is annoyed by the way that college players and being granted free agency and signing their entry level contracts. But is he right?
– As annoyed as Dubinsky was, Joel is even more frustrated, and this time it’s at referees and people who eat bagels like a donut.
Intro music by Erik Hall of Shoot the Shred podcast
The 4th Line Podcast is a weekly hockey podcast hosted by Carl Landra and Joel Schnell. Every week they share their unique and fun take on what is happening in the world of hockey. While they don’t take themselves too seriously, they have a typical no 4th line attitude: what they lack in finesse, they make for in being willing to go to the corners and work hard to get the job done.
Who are Carl and Joel? Carl comes from Calgary, AB. His facial hair of choice is a mustache. His team of choice is the Colorado Avalanche and his smoked meat of choice is brisket. Joel comes from Nanaimo, BC. His facial hair of choice is a beard. His team of choice is the Toronto Maple Leafs and his smoked meat of choice is ribs.